by David M Stewart
The variant is called Setup Diplomacy, and works as follows:
1. All rules are as in standard diplomacy except where modified below.
2. The first phase of the game is Winter 1900, during which each power may place units on any home province, up to the number of supply centres the power owns (see below for a listing of all home provinces).
3. At the end of the Fall season, each power gains ownership of any province that said power occupies. Any unoccupied province retains its previous ownership status.
4. If any power earns a build, that build may be placed in any owned province that is not already occupied.
5. Listing of Home Provinces: